Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Tribute to Romeo



My sweet kitty, Romeo, left the world on July 3rd. It was determined after a 24 hour period and many tests that my boy was in heart failure. My heart broke having to say goodbye at such an early age of 4 years old. I had Romeo for 3 1/2 years and he was a wonderful cat with so much personality and was quite the charmer.

He was a Balinese breed with blue point markings(gray face and paws, blue eyes) and a very handsome cat. He loved people, dogs and most cats. I called him my dog/cat because he acted much like a dog. He fetched from early on and loved running down the steep set of stairs after a straw and would continuously bring it back for more. He never minded going for a car ride and would sit on my lap, looking out the window at the view or stare at people in cars at traffic lights. 9 times out of 10 he would greet me when I drove up and was always be happy to see me.

He was quite the hunter, to my dismay, and would bring home garter snakes, birds(sometime alive) and baby bunnies. One day when I was working on my friend, Jeanne, he came in the room and unbeknown to us had a bird in his mouth and jumped onto the massage table and dropped it by Jeanne's side. He was just bringing her a present!

A few months ago I went to put some washing into the dryer and I saw Romeo napping happily in the sun as I went by. I put the clothes in, shut the door and turned it on. Something went kur-plunking in the drying and I instantly opened it up to find out what was making the noise and low and behold, my crazy cat jumped out a bit wobbly but not harmed! He always followed me around the house but I did not even see him that time. He never went in the dryer after that.

He was a bit of a trouble maker; he would always push things off tables and shelfs and I had to clean up and replace many items in my household. It got a little better as he matured and once I caved and let him outside. He had to be outside-he had way too much energy! He was very affectionate and loved being held and/or carried around. He was a joy to have around and I am so grateful to have had him in my life.

Romeo, you will be missed!

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your best feline friend. Sure sounds like a special cat. Catching snakes? Wow! I've never seen a cat catch a snake before. Nice pictures - handsome trouble maker isn't he. Well, good luck and thanks for sharing. rm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about Romeo! He sounded like such a wonderful companion. Sleeping in the dryer... did he fold the clothes after?? Hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toni, I'm so very sorry to hear about Romeo. Sounds like he had the best Mom in the world and that you had the best cat!!!

    Safe travels. I'm watching ;-)

    xo Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farewell sweetieboy. You life was short but full of love and care.

    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Birthday party and business class. I like it!

    Ready to live vicariously though your stories.
    Take care....Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tony sorry to here about yor sweet Romeo he sounded like a wonderful companion I'm sure you'll miss him but you will also have many smiles for all the wonderful times you had together. I also recently lost my Milo a minuture poodle who ran into the road and was killed on July 10th is was 5yrs old.Anyway have fun on your trip. Michele Laske

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Toni - We're glad you made it! We miss Romeo too - and have our own funny memories like the snake he brought in the house unbeknownst to you that Bruce discovered happily hanging out in your plant. Very fun kitty who was much loved and will be missed! (Hello to Sara also.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't hear about the dryer incident! OMG, that's hysterical! I miss you, and I'll try to adjust to the new name, but I gotta say, I'm an old lady kind of set in her ways...
    You need to remind people of your blog every so often. Send an email for awhile. Meanwhile, I'll do my part and forward the url on to everyone I know!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete