Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Seville


I really like Seville and in some ways wish I had chosen to study Spanish there. Not that that would have helped me in my progression with the language BUT I think the life style in Seville would have suited me much better in many ways. I liked the layout of the city and it was very easy to get around and they actually HAVE signs on the streets which makes life much easier when looking for things in a strange city. Actually what I've learned about myself, is that maps are a good guide but I like to wander and rather then street signs I'm better at landmarks and while sometime it takes me a while to find the same place, I eventually do.

So, my new friend, Jenna, who was in my Spanish class in Granada, decided to join me in Seville for the weekend. She booked us into a hostel that she found online and the first night we had a three bed dorm which was fine until we found out it was a mixed dorm! Okay, news to me...and Jenna. It worked out even though our roommate was an English bloke whose skills in the English language where challenged...or was it our challenge in understanding? Anyway, he may as well have been speaking Spanish! The next night we moved into a double and the only other roommates we had were uninvited.....mosquitoes or some sort of biting insects!

We had a great time seeing the sights in Seville including a 16 century mansion remolded in 1924 by the Countess Lebrija...whoever she was. She had an amazing art collection of Roman mosaics, statues and tiles. In case you haven't noticed, I've become a bit obsessed by tiles and also stained glass. I love the colors and designs and the inspiration-the artist coming out in me. Also, the Arabic architecture is fascinating! The other places we visited were the Alcazar which is somewhat of a smaller version of the Alhambra but very different in it's layout and nowhere near the magnificence of the gardens at the Alhambra.

The Cathedral is one of the largest in Europe and it truly is mind boggling. I can appreciate the years of work, the architecture but the Catholic symbolism and gets to be a bit much to be honest.

We also went to Plaza Espana which was beautiful and there are so many parks in Seville of which I explored the last day I spent in Seville as well as enjoy a run one night after it rained and the sun was setting and there were runners, bikers, rollerbladers everywhere....I felt right at home.
View my photos at:
www.picasweb.google.com/tonibodeau/Seville

No comments:

Post a Comment