Thursday, September 17, 2009

Just show up, pay attention......don't get attached!

The last part is easier said then done but I believe it's so true. The entire saying is to just show up, pay attention, tell the truth and don't get attached to the outcome. My time in Granada has been about that and especially the not getting attached part.

The Spanish class has proved to be a tremendous challenge for me and I have not mastered the language in any way or form. Okay, so did I expect that I would be chatting away in Espanol with all the locals....well no, but I thought I'd a least be able to form a sentence! I found myself so frustrated and not really paying attention; to the beauty around me, to the other senses that we are so blessed with. So one day, I just slowed down and really saw what was around me and took it all in. I looked people in the eye and smiled instead of being nervous that someone may actually try to talk to me and OMG...how would I answer!I have been apreciating the taste of the food,and the wine(even my host mom's cooking is better...) I love the smell after the rain and the feel of the Hamman arabic baths and the massage that I experienced last night. When you stop to smell the flowers...you don't miss life!

Speaking of a visual experience; I will post my photos of the Alhambra and I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them. This place was amazing. I don't have my book with me to give you the history but basically the Alhambra was originally owned by the Arabics and overtaken by the Spanish. The architecture was so amazing to see. I tried to capture some of it with my photos. I didn't rent the audio which I wish I had now because there is so much history. I am actually thinking of going back next week because there is so much to take it.

Last weekend, I went to Ubeda with a couple of girls from the school. It is about 120 kilometers north of Granada and about 2 1/2 hours by bus. It's a fairly small village and had some amazing building to visit. What we hadn't considered is that getting there about 12:30 only gave us a few hours before everything closes and believe me, the Spanish take their siestas very serious! We had a nice time and it was great just to get away for the day. I'm actually getting to know Granada fairly well and love that I can actually "feel" my way around instead of looking at the map all the time. Which like I mentioned before, doesn't work well because of lack of signage.
You can view my photos at www.picasaweb.google.com/tonibodeau/thealhambraandubeda
I'm off to Morocco this weekend so more soon...

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures. And the idea of "just show up" is good. Looking forward to tales from morocco. This is Lynn - hoping again they let me post a comment as someone other than "anonymous".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jeanne if it doesn't say. I loved the Alhambra! I remember that Napolean's soldiers stabled their horses there and really trashed one of the buildings. Liked Ubeda as well. You will do fine. Buena suerte!No te preocupas.

    ReplyDelete