Monday, March 15, 2010

Return to Thailand



So I’m back in Thailand and have spent the past few days in the busy city of Bangkok with it’s pollution, traffic and noise………so why did I leave Bali? I have not been to that many Asian countries but now that I have a few to compare, I have to say that I prefer Indonesia/Bali over Thailand. The feel is different altogether and I’m not quite sure if I can put my finger on the reasons why. Is it Hinduism virus Buddhism or just the overall culture? One of the things I loved about the Balinese is the emphasis on family and ceremony. It felt like such a gentle, happy culture and was so easy to immerse oneself into that world and never want to leave. Thailand on the other hand, has some lovely people and I believe being Buddhist they are inherently good people but there seems to be a leeriness about them….until you get to know them that is. Bangkok is not the place to judge Thailand on and I believe in the North and South there is a much gentler feel.

Thailand has some wonderful aspects to enjoy including the islands and beaches which is why I’m heading back south later this evening. I have to add that I’m doing an overnight bus after saying I would never do that again but weighing the options it seems to be the best choice. I am heading to Khabi which is on the west coast on the Andaman sea to explore some of the small islands of Koh Pi Pi . I will head to Koh Samui before taking a short ferry back to Koh Phangan for the month of April to do a yoga training/retreat. It will be a very busy time and I will probably not have much of a chance to email or blog so if you don’t hear from me don’t worry……and I will be in touch once I return to Bangkok before leaving for New Zealand.

I have another set of Photos from Bali that I’d love to share with you. Please go to www.picasaweb.google.com/tonibodeau/baliagain

2 comments:

  1. holy shit, girlfriend... your trip just keeps getting more and more amazing! Enjoy the island life!!
    peace, love, and fun - chris
    (p.s. - hope u survived the overnight bus)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toni - great photos and story again. I love reading your insights into the cultures you've visited . I hope you're staying well and bug-bite free. Take care - remember we read more than we write and we're always thinking about you - Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete