Thursday, December 17, 2009

Can Elephants really paint?


I'm up early and doing last minute note reading preparing for the exam from my second week of my Thai massage course. It has been great! I've learned a lot..too much really...and the hope is that I don't forget all of it before I return home. I just need to practice, practice, practice.......I'm sure I won't have too much of a problem finding volunteers. The past two week have been very physical as well as intellectually simulating. We do yoga, tai chi or qi gong every morning for an hour then learn new postures in the Thai massage sequence. I'm pretty beat by the end of the day.

That said, I really haven't seen much aside from the center city of Chiang Mai and the neighborhoods surrounding were I'm living. I did go to a couple of places last weekend with my dad and his friend Bill. On Saturday we went to the town of Bantawa where they do the detailed wood carving and it's a cute little town with many, many shops to tempt you. On Sunday we went to one of the elephant parks which was fun but very touristy. They train(and you wonder how they do this..which I don't like) the elephants to do all sorts of things like play soccer, twirl hoops and even paint...no kidding, that was amazing! You can see on the photos. You can feed the elephants bananas and bamboo and sit on their knee and they will take a hat and put it on your head. We also went to a snake show (which wasn't my idea but I'm the one in the photo with a cobra around my neck!)and unbelievable that these Thai guys handle pythons, cobra and other dangerous snakes.

What I've really enjoyed is just walking and taking in the culture and the people. They are so friendly and helpful. My friend, Lana, arrives today from San Diego and we have some great things planned for the next few weeks. I will be in touch.

I just want to wish all of you a wonderful Christmas and know I will miss you but honestly am not missing all the hype of the season...just missing friends and family. I hope 2010 is a wonderful year for everyone.
www.picasaweb.google.com/tonibodeau/Thailand

2 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays my friend.....what a great experience..learning in a foreign land and being joined by the solid, sweet Lana...you are sure to have a truly memorable time. I am working real hard on being happy with my reality ( not bad) as compared to being on an adventure like yours.
    Glad to hear things are going well. Much love and warm thoughts going out to you and Lana over the holidays.............love, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Toni! I love your stories from Thailand. Sounds like you are well settled and comfortable taking on all the travel challenges. The massage course must be a fabulous experience. It's the end of Christmas day here and i'm relaxing catching up on fun news - like your Blog - love it & thnx for sharing - i'm feeling inspired. I know what you mean about not missing any of the holiday hype - and know that family and friends are here and love you! Enjoy your time!! Happy new year and safe travels. Chris

    ReplyDelete